Sunday 28 February 2016

50 best trail centres in the UK

Its been a while since I decided to write about an adventure! The reason I write them down is so i don't forget some amazing adventures and achievements. Its worth noting that several amazing adventures have transpired since my last blog and none more epic than the coast to coast triathlon me and my little bro did for our combined birthday present (him being 18 and me being 21). We ran 26 miles, cycled 75 and kayaked 4 miles. It was a long 12 hour slog. Craig was an absolute beast of a cyclist and refused to draft any road cyclists, despite our mountain bike tyres. Subsequently he payed the price and when it came to the final run stage he struggled but we powered through and we were still smiling at the end :D

This short blog aims to highlight the start of my 50 trail centre routes and the purchase of my beautiful Mondraker foxy XR 2013.

It all starts on the 25/09/2015 with the purchase of my new bike. Having some car trouble i drove all the way to surrey to pick the bike up and then took it for its first ride around Swindon forest. Since then I have ticked off 14 Trail centres.


This last weekend I managed to tick 3 off the list on an epic long weekend away in wales with Vinny and Johny. Stayed in a YHA near Code y Brenin and had an amazing time. The highlight being a hysterical section of falls for me and Vinny at Penmachno. I was taking the lead and heard a little scream from vince after i had gone over a sizeable drop off. I assumed he was just relieved to get over it and carried on bombing it down the hill. Upon arriving at the end of the section i waited for my cycle buddy. I carried on waiting in the misty low lying cloud for a good 10 minutes, I started to worry and so headed back up the trail. I was walking for a while when I sore his face smiling. He explained he had shot off the trail and tumbled down the bank with his bike going even further down the side of this overgrown bank than him. I just chuckled as i imagined it happening (he was completely unscathed). I wasn't to be so lucky on the next two bits.


It was cold and misty in the open section where we currently stood, we decided to carry on swiftly so as not to freeze. I was given orders to shout, as i often did, when rocky or tricky bits appeared so Vinny could prepare. I was never afforded this luxury on the grounds I had the balls and skill to survive them first time, not always the case mind. So we set off and within the first 2 minuets of defending I attempt a jump, only when it comes to the landing, It doesn't go so well. I hit the edge of the trail and I'm thrown over the handle bars, much to my relief I'm completely fine and more importantly so was my bike. We laughed and continued onwards. The trails were so single track in places their was barley track. Not 5 minutes later I come off again for much the same reasons only to smack my leg on a rock and twist it, the pain is about a 4/10. I walk it off and carry on cycling.

After about 1.5 hours, since leaving our cars, we reach the fork in the route. We decide to do the extra bit and take a little pit stop at the next convenient place to get some sustenance in the form of breakfast bars and the trusty peanuts. We soon get very cold and jump back on the bikes, its at this point i realise the adrenaline has worn off and my knee has seized the pain was now at a 8/10 and i had to cycle for 3 hours to get back to the car.....

Long story short, great ride, great weekend away and I'm looking forward to my next adventure!



No comments:

Post a Comment